Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Majority in Poll Favor Deadline For Iraq Pullout

With Congress preparing for renewed debate over President Bush's Iraq policies, a majority of Americans now support setting a deadline for withdrawing U.S. forces from the war-torn nation and support putting new conditions on the military that could limit the number of personnel available for duty there, according to a new Washington Post-ABC News poll.

Opposition to Bush's plan to send an additional 21,500 troops to Iraq remained strong. Two in three Americans registered their disapproval, with 56 percent saying they strongly object. The House recently passed a nonbinding resolution opposing the new deployments, but Republicans have blocked consideration of such a measure in the Senate.

Senate Democrats, led by Armed Services Committee Chairman Carl M. Levin (Mich.) and Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Joseph R. Biden Jr. (Del.), are preparing another resolution that would have the effect of taking away the authority Bush was granted in 2002 to go to war. The measure would seek to have virtually all combat forces withdrawn from Iraq by the end of March 2008.

Click for more

2 comments:

FBI said...

I am not sure what is holding up Congress from stopping this war and troop escalation...it's just plain political BS!!

S-Q -- This wait for a verdict is killing me. I have plenty of work to do, but I can't help thinking about the case and checking in at FDL every 20 minutes to see if the jurors have sneezed. In fact I proably shouldn't be on the blogs at all today, but I can't help myself. I'm probalby not alone though!

Suzie-Q (S-Q) said...

Quzi:

I know this whole thing is just crazy. Our troops need to get outta there and come home asap!

No, you're not alone..LOL I have been trying to work but find myself checking all the sites for the latest info! It will happen but not soon enough for me!! :D